Art in Photography
CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHERS IN CHELTENHAM – ‘ART IN PHOTOGRAPHY’
22 – 28 August 2012
- In their first collective exhibition the local group Creative Photographers in Cheltenham (CPiC) present their work, “Art in Photography”, at the Gardens Gallery, Cheltenham from Wednesday 22nd to Tuesday 28th August 2012.
- Most of the group’s members met on a Creative Photography Short Course at the University of Gloucestershire in 2009. Sharing a mutual interest in the creative side of photography, they have met monthly as “CPiC” since early 2010. Their images, produced from using established and new techniques, are intended to challenge the viewer’s perception as to what is a good photograph.
- While the work of the group is diverse – as are the backgrounds and experience of each photographer – the exhibition title “Art in Photography” encapsulates the spirit of their joint approach. Its meaning is twofold: to produce artwork through photography and to discover the art in photography.
- Many of the images on display break the accepted rules of photography. The use of movement turns the familiar into something more abstract; a play with light creates an impressionistic effect; and colour, or lack of, is used to highlight an image’s subject matter. Digital post-production methods are also used by some to add a further creative element to their work.
- The photographers exhibiting are Helen Dewbery ARPS, Sandra Prowse, Rowan Hull, Sarah Farooqi, Matthew Siller, Rob Colley, Linda Kirkhope, Felicity Travis and Isobel Laing.
- Original photographs, limited edition prints, postcards and greetings cards will be available to purchase at the exhibition. You will also be able to meet the photographers whose work is on show.“